Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cold Help

Since Ava is so little the doctor says we can't give her anything for her cold. She is not getting any better and it has been almost 2 weeks. She coughs all the time and can barely breath which makes it super hard for her to nurse. She wakes herself up constantly in the night cause she will start coughing so hard which wakes me up and then it takes forever to go back to sleep. The doctor told us to elevate her mattress which we did and we have a steam humidifier on in her room.
So far she still sound awful. Does any one else have an idea of what I can do for my poor little sickling? Emilee mentioned a steamy bath which is a great idea and I am going to try that today. I just know other people have said their kids have been sick and wondered if there was anything they were told to do that worked.
Thanks.

7 comments:

Rob Dog said...

Hey! I found your blog through Karlee's!! I feel your pain! I swear Hayden was sick from November to January!! It was the worst! (even being able to give him Benadryl didn't help that much!) The humidifier I swear did nothing! When the little ones cant breath life is rough!! Have you ever used Simply Saline? Our doc just gave us a sample of some when he was about Ava's age! Its just saline you spray up their nose and then whith in a few min all the snot drips back out and you can suck it! It does not do work miracles but it HELPS! I just always do it while he is in the bath when he has a cold! (if you don't have any I am sure you can just get it at any store or even call and get a sample from your doctor!) Hang in there! It's ALMOST spring!! YAY!!

Just the 3 of us said...

Have you given her any benadryl? Most doctors say to wait until 6 months. But last winter Jaden was really sick and was 4 1/2 months and I gave him children's benadryl and it helped him sleep much better and help with the runny nose, and watery eyes and sneezing. For the cough I put vick's vapor rub on their feet and cover with socks. It's supposedly an old wives tell and it works wonders! Also if you have any orange oil (you can get it at the health food store) you can put a few drops in their humidifier its supposed to clear the air of germs and clean up their immune system. I hope some of this helps. Hey my blog is private if you wanna read it, send me your email Lauren906@gmail.com
Ava is adorable!!!

T. Driaza said...

I totally agree with the Vick's Vapor Rub on their feet covered with socks!! That's the first thing I would do! That helps with both children & adults. Make sure you put a good amount though. Also if you humidifier has a little hole on the top you can put vapor rub in that. It will not harm her at all! The saline spray is great too! It always kills me trying to get their snot...cause they don't like it much. It so works though if she is really congested!

Stephanie said...

So I feel weird doing this but I'm doing it anyway. I'm Emily Webb's sister-in-law. I have a 16 month old and I've found that the steam humidifier's actually make things worse. I use a cool humidifier, it works MUCH better. Also, just keep suckin' all the snot out with that bulb syringe, that's about all you can do, really. But definitely try to switch humidifiers, I bet that'll help a lot.

Also, my friend just recently told me that you can give babies dymatab (sp?) or benadryl but only a little bit, like a quarter of a tsp. The reason they told parents to stop giving it to children under 4 was because parents were overdosing their children and some were dying because of it. They didn't mean to overdose, they just didn't know they were doing it. But that small amount should help but not be harmful to them. Hope that helps. Looks like you already got a lot of advice, though. Sorry I'm creepy.

The Jensen's said...

I 100% agree with getting a cool mist humidifier. Also you can get Little Noses Saline to spray in her nose and suck it out. Colton hates this but it worked pretty good. Sounds like she might have RSV?? Did your doc rule that out? I gave Colton benedryl when he was Ava's age but only like 1/4 tsp I think. I don't know if it helped his cold but it did help him sleep a little better. Good Luck!

Rob Dog said...

Yeah they really HATE the saline! I Always make the hubby do it! he he he! It may even be a two person job! It may be worth asking your doc about the Benadryl, I gave it to Hayden at like 6 months or so! Good luck!!

Amanda and Brandon Jamison said...

We were all sick last week with a really mucousy cough. The doctor perscribed Tessa with a nebulizer, and that helped a lot, along with some medicine that i think was a steroid or something. It cleared here right up! Maybe call the doc about the nebulizer.