Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My cat is so naughty!!!!

I really do like my cat but lately I am pretty sure he has a death wish. My cat is an indoor outdoor cat and so he wants to come in then go out every 5 minutes so I just started to ignore him. When he goes outside he comes back in sometimes with dirt or salt on his paws. The biggest problem is that he loves everything that is Ava's. He lays on her boppy and blankets and gets them all dirty. This grosses me out but it is not while I have thought about killing him lately. (Not really but I have been so mad at him)
When we were in Hawaii I went to put Ava in her crib for the first time and there was cat hair in it. So I realized he had made it his bed. So I washed all of her things and started shutting her door. When I shut her door I realized it made her room freezing and no air could circulate.
So that doesn't really work. There have been a few times where I go to put Ava in her crib and the cat is in there. When this happens I not so nicely pick him up and toss him in the hall telling him NO. Two nights ago I put Ava down around 8 and around 9 Jeff checked on her. At 10 I went to turn off the lights and had a feeling to check her again. When I went into her room I saw something black laying at her feet. It took me a minute to realize it was the cat! I felt sick. He had been in there for an hour. Probably sneaking past Jeff into her room.
My mom would tell me I am paranoid because we grew up with cats and are all fine but I know that there have been cases of cats smothering little babies. They like to lay on them because they are warm and smell like milk. I got really mad at my cat and he followed me around everywhere cause he knew I was mad. Then just now I went to put her down for her nap and guess what.....HE WAS IN THERE!
Again I tossed him into the hall and told him NO several times. What do I do to keep him out?Any ideas?
This is him forcing himself through the blinds to look outside. Another lovely thing he does.

9 comments:

travisrichardson said...

We had a cat (I hate cats) and my wife finally agreed to get rid of it when we had our first kid. Thats the only suggestion I have for your sorry.

The Jensen's said...

I don't mean to laugh at your troubles, but I can't breathe I am laughing so hard! You know my stand on cats I CAN"T STAND THEM! Good luck Robby!

Carly said...

I have an idea! There's this place, called Walmart, where people often pick up cats when they are in a box marked "FREE". Let me know what you think! :)

Brad and Jade said...

I was afraid of that same thing. Even before Bre was born we would find our cat in his room. We started locking her downstairs at night. So maybe you could lock him up where his litter box is or shut Ava's door and but a space heater in there, that's what we have for Bre's room cause it gets so cold. Good Luck!

brooke! said...

Do you have a cat bed for Frodo? If not, try getting a cat bed and putting your shirt or Ava's onsie that has been worn in it and change it out every few days to a freshly worn item. This will put your smell in the bed and hopefully will have Frodo going in there and not the crib.

Also, does he go in Ava's crib because sunlight hits in her crib? If so, try moving her bed from underneath the window.

As for the blinds, does the window have enough room for him to sit in it? If you raise the blinds up a bit he could go underneath the blinds and sit in between the window and blinds. You could also replace the blinds with another material window treatment that he can easily pass to get into the window.

I would be afraid of leaving a space heater going unwatched. It is a fire hazard.

Merrills said...

You know... we had a problem with are mischievous cat Walter and I just ACCIDENTALLY left the door open that took care of the problem. JK The thing with cats is that they are so independent they have a problem with obedience. (sigh) I would say try the things that your friend Brooke suggested and if none of those work you might just have lock him up with his litter box. yikes! good luck!

Just Add Flowers said...

When I was younger and we got our cat, we had to train it to stay off of the kitchen table so there was a squirt bottle handy and Cleo would get a squirt, and a'NO' and before long she learned that it was a 'No No' to get on the table. I don't think she has gotten back on for 10+ years. Good luck! Having cat hair near the baby would be kind of gross, I agree.

Carly said...

Rob, I work out from home as well, and most times I have Dax. Do you have a running stroller? That may help...let me know if you need ideas, I'd love to have you train with me!

Jenna Bishop said...

I love cats! Dont throw it away :(

Try the squirt bottle and spray everytime he is in there. Works with my cats when they get into things they are not suppose too, they learn after awhile.

My dad taught my cats growing up not to get on the counters by hitting them with a rolled up newspaper and yelling. They learned quick not to go near it.

My cats do that with the blinds too. I keep them lifted a little so they can sit, they love the sun and looking outside.